image
'My love for the show got me back here' - Radio Mirchi Delhi RJ Sayema

Radio Mirchi Delhi's Purani Jeans has almost lost its flavour with Sayema missing from the scene. After a long absesnce of three months, the RJ is back to woo the Mirchi audience with the same charm and zeal. Caught in a conversation with Radioandmusic.com's Shabana Ali, Sayema discusses her experience on the show and her journey as an RJ.

Excerpts:

What are the new elements incorporated in Purani Jeans after your comeback?

I have got a good gift for my audience of Purani Jeans and that's 'nayee kameez'. In this segment, I will play a new song from the 90's. This segment would have the best numbers from the era of Qayamat se qayamat tak, Dil se and others. Apart from that, my Purani jeans will also feature one of the black and white classics.

What kind of contests and interactions do you have in your show?

Purani Jeans, as the name says, is all about old Bollywood music which forms a very important part of everyone's life. As it is a late evening show when people have returned from their daily work, people can just pick up their phone and talk about anything and everything they want to share with me. Or it could be something interesting about old singers and music directors which I may not know. So, the interaction is just non dimensional.

After three months, why did you choose to return to the show?

I did not leave the show. I was just on a vacation. When I came back, I had to get back to my show. I was craving for it as much when on holiday. It was a need at both ends. My love for the show got me back here.

Do you think you have less listeners at night? Had this show been in the mornings, you would have grabbed more ears.

This is a very different body clock altogether. There is no such data saying there are more listeners in the morning or less listeners at night. There are people driving to work who are tuned in to the radio on their way, while at night, I have a direct competition with TV. Attention gets divided because there are other options available. But I have seen a lot of loyal listeners who call me and participate in my show.

What kind of audience participates in your show?

My target audience is everyone from a

1  2  3  Next Page >>

`
Comments: 7
A+ | A- Set Default

Print | Share | Email

You are not logged in. Please Login or Continue as a Guest.

Recent Comments:   | Add Comment
Anant 10:16:29 PM 17 Dec 2010 Report Abuse
I am fan of the songs selected in "Puarani Jeans". The songs of the Golden Era of 70s & 80s are my FAVOURITES.
Umesh Guliani 03:48:21 PM 29 Nov 2010 Report Abuse
one of my office friend was feeling that you are aged as the era of SONGS you broadcast in POORANI JEANS but I was not agree with him. I was right as today by seeing your profile & PICTURES. MAY GOD/KHUDA BLESS YOU .
What Is In The Name 01:12:11 PM 25 Feb 2010 Report Abuse
1. It is abundantly clear that Sayema was born and brought up in Delhi. But how am I saying this so confidently? Well, I am saying this from her language. Her Hindi is very basic and elementary. She can't speak even two sentences fully, correctly and fluently. 2. She has a very strong nasal accent which is very annoying. 3. She appears to be fully aware of her above mentioned inadequacies. She tries to hide these by being chirpy and bubbly. But, these traits are so strong that she totally fails in her efforts. So what should she do? 1. She should get a good Hindi tutor and read good Hindi/Urdu book so that her language becomes strong and fluent and she does not have to take the shelter of these gimmicks. 2. She should practice hard for giving up her nasal accent.
Manjeet Dhondy 07:09:08 PM 23 Feb 2010 Report Abuse
hello sayema...this is dusra gulzaar...believe me...well...my actual name is manjeet dhondy but main dusra gulzaar aur alag alag name se lkhta hun...i hope...ab tum gulzaar sahab se nahi puchhogi ki dusra gulzaar kaun hai...main abhi khud ko chhipa kar likhta hun...duniya ,mujhe abhi nahi jaanti hai...
Punam Purty 11:42:29 AM 15 Jan 2010 Report Abuse
hi sayema,how r u i miss u lot i like ur show and i like your voice talking style.
08:08:04 PM 21 Dec 2009 Report Abuse
hi sayema i like ur program i lisn mon to fri every week.
09:32:55 PM 16 Dec 2009 Report Abuse
HI SAYEMA, I AM MAILING U FIRST TIMEAND I NEED UR HELP I AM A MUSICAIN I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO PUBLICITY AND I AN DOING ONE PROGREMME ON 24TH DEC AT INDIA INTERNETIONAL CENTER,LODHI ROAD.CAN PLS HELP ME BY INVITING PEOPLE FOR MY SHOW. THANKS AMJAD